Bildwechsel is an umbrella organisation for women in media, culture and art. Based in Hamburg it acts as a platform and as an infrastructure which women can tap into to support and develop their own work / projects / ideas, to find out about the work of others, make connections, develop new initiatives and build up archival collections that represent their work and that of other women.
Bildwechsel is an international organisation and has ‘homes’ in Glasgow, Basel, Nurnberg, Berlin, Warsaw and Budapest…
Contact bildwechsel glasgow at bwglasgow (at) gmail.com
Bildwechsel aims to present a panoramic view of the work of women artists, especially of those working over the last 25 years.
We have ’agents’ in various cities in the world collecting materials for the archives, reporting on what they see, making connections, publicising the work of Bildwechsel, and organising joint projects. The archives aim to be international in scope and dynamic in their content and the work of the agents is important in this respect. Building on these connections with other artists and projects we often travel to other cities with the Archive Bus, putting on events, screenings, collecting materials for the archive.
We are concerned with the concept of authorship and this interest informs the ways in which we work with artists, for example:
We help to ‘name’ an artist/curator/writer etc by bringing them to the archives and showing their work; by being part of a Bildwechsel project the artist/ curator/ performer/ writer gains a ‘name’ and in addition can draw on the information, support and knowledge that Bildwechsel and the women connected to it have; by providing a space where questions of authorship, being an artist, showing work etc can be explored and critiqued e.g. within Gallery Helga Broll (a project hosted by Bildwechsel in Hamburg and Kasko in Basel – http://www.galerie-broll.com)
Some of our current projects:
- Developing new structures that can help us to fund our work – the spaces we need to house the archives, our umbrella organisation and some of our projects. We have no core funding for our work and because of the political situation in Hamburg do not see this changing in the near future. We are interested to explore new ways of funding our work, perhaps in conjunction with other women’s arts organisations in Europe. We now have to charge for some of our services and now also ask women to support our work by giving a small monthly payment to us, or to fundraise for us.
- Storing, digitising, copying and winding the videos to preserve them
- Presenting video programmes of the first generation (japan standard1, u matic)
- “Mediamovements” – looking at the ways that the contents, meanings, and contexts of media representations have changed e.g. “generation gap”, an interview and performance project with women performance artists from the first generation of performance artists who began their work in the 1970s and 80s; “still lives and living pictures”, a project looking at the relation between video and performance.
- Organising other associated activities / projects with our agents in other countries / elsewhere in Germany
Bildwechsel is always looking for new connections – for new agents to keep us in touch with what is happening in their cities / countries; for artists / filmmakers to send us information about their work; for women to work with us on projects and events in their own spaces / places or with us in ours.
You can get more information about us on our website at www.bildwechsel.org